My boys and I really enjoyed Dolittle with Robert Downey Jr. when we saw it in theatres. If you are looking for a movie that is family-friendly, filled with wonder, and takes you away in your mind on a new and exciting voyage, this is it.
Dolittle whisks you away and shows you the impossible is possible: talking to animals can be done. For every child that talks to their pets, and for every adult that does as well, Dolittle answers the questions we all wish to know – Can they understand me? And what would they say back? It’s a lot of fun to see Robert Downey Jr. in this role and I can only imagine how much his creativity had to sore to pretend animals were all around him when there was nothing. It’s a testament to what a talented actor he is.
Here are some thoughts on the movie (written with the help of my boys):
All the characters were funny – Each character has a real personality, and they shine in various scenes. Animals that would normally be enemies in the wild, are or become friends. And the way that Dolittle talks to the animals is so matter of fact, you would swear it was real. Loads of fun to watch.
Scary part for little ones – As with most PG movies, there are a few bits that will be scary for little ones. Without giving too much away, there is a fight scene with a tiger and Mr. Dolittle, and there is a dragon scene that is intense as well. Another thing to note, is that there is mention of Dolittle’s wife and her death. So, dealing with depression and dying are discussed in a simple but real way.
Looks can be deceiving – Dolittle provides a teachable moment. The gorilla is easily scared, and the polar bear is always cold, and what you would imagine an animal to think and feel is not the case in this story. Even though this is a story about animals, it’s a great discussion to have after with your family.
With CGI movies like this, getting the inside scoop on how they did it and what they created to make the movie is really interesting. That’s why we are looking forward to seeing it again and watching all the extras on DVD. Here are the bonus features included in on 4K Unltra HD, Blu-ray, DVD and digital:
- TALK TO THE ANIMALS– Dolittle is surrounded by a motley cast of characters. Take a peek at all the fun the cast had giving each of the animals their unique voice.
- ROBERT DOWNEY JR. & HARRY: MENTOR AND MENTEE– Acting opposite a legendary actor like Robert Downey Jr. can be an intimidating experience, but Harry Collett handled it like a pro. See the unique bond the two actors formed on-set, and how Downey took the film’s young co-star under his wing.
- BECOMING THE GOOD DOCTOR– See the process of how this team of talented artists brought this film to life, and how Robert Downey Jr. transformed into the iconic Dolittle.
- ANTONIO BANDERAS: PIRATE KING– Antonio Banderas discusses what attracted him to the project, his experiences working with Robert Downey Jr., and what he brought to the role of King Rassouli.
- THE WICKED DR. MÜDFLY – Who is the nefarious villain Dr. Blair Müdfly? Michael Sheen dives into his character’s motivations for being Dolittle’s foil.
- A MOST UNUSUAL HOUSE– It takes a special home to accommodate humans and animals alike. Explore the unique rooms and modifications that allow Dolittle to house anyone or anything – big or small.
One lucky family will win a DVD copy of Dolittle to enjoy at home!
To enter, leave a comment below telling me your favourite animal you would want to talk to and be understood. That’s it!
For extra entries:
- Follow @ask_mamamoe on Instagram
- Share this giveaway in an IG stories and tag me (@ask_mamamoe)
- Follow @AskMamaMOE on Twitter
- Share on Twitter. Here is the text you can use to share: “ I just entered to #win a copy of #Dolittle with @AskMamaMOE https://bit.ly/2X59760 ” (you may do this twice a day and every tweet is an entry)
- Read another post of mine on the blog and comment on it (an extra 3 entries!)
- Subscribe to the Ask Mama MOE newsletter (an extra 5 entries!)
** For all extra entries, you must leave your handle (and link for tweets) in a comment below for verification.
Must be a Canadian or U.S. resident. The deadline to enter is May 20th, 11:59pm. The winner will be notified by e-mail. Good luck, everyone!
GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED – Congratulations to Shirley O !
I would want to talk to dolphins
LuckyatWinning tweeted about the giveaway – https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/1261696208520667137
I subscribe to your newsletter ( Ivy Pluchinsky )
I shared on my IG stories ( IvyMandias )
My favorite, and would love to understand is a koala
follow on instagram
follow on twitter
I would want to talk to penguins!
Following you on Twitter! @steph_xoxo10
Tweeted May 16
I would like to talk to a Dolphin!
I’m following you on Twitter! @Zac_maniac
2nd daily tweet
I would like to be able to talk to cats.
Following on Instagram @shirleyoflynn
I follow on Twitter @ShirleyOflynn
I tweeted about the giveaway https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1261823747549519873
I commented on your Grandma MOE’s Homemade Chicken Soup blog post.
I subscribed to the newsletter.
Daily tweet #1
I tweeted today https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/1262054564783484928 ( LuckyatWinning )
I tweeted https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1262075851128090626
Tweeted May 17
My 2nd daily tweet https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1262131758952263681
Daily tweet #2
Tweeted May 17 (second time)
Daily tweet #1
Tweeted today https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/1262464577293266945
Daily tweet #1 https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1262499430068092929
Tweeted today https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/1262773134685425665
Daily tweet https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1262876356867690496
My last tweet – https://twitter.com/LuckyAtWinning/status/1263153232366333953
I commented on this post – https://askmamamoe.com/mothers-day-traditions-when-things-have-changed
Daily tweet https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1263185290975490049
Daily tweet #2 https://twitter.com/ShirleyOflynn/status/1263251646802530311
Tweeted May 20