It was a late winter night as we approached the country house. The boys were sound asleep in the car as we began to empty bags and bring them inside. We tried to keep quiet as we brought in the groceries, the luggage and all their special treasures, stepping in the pile of fresh fallen snow.
Next we woke them up just enough to get them to hitch a ride on our backs, lifting them away from the snow, so they didn’t need to put on their boots to get inside. The routine is that I then bring the boys to bed and tuck them in, while Papa MOE finishes with the car and parks it for the night.
Once the boys were in bed, we chatted, filled the fridge and prepared for the next morning. This particular night was a late night, since Papa MOE had to snowplow the road twice from all the snow that had fallen that week. We talked about how much fun the boys would have the next day, playing in the snow. And then I wanted to check my phone….
To my surprise, I couldn’t find it. We had just emptied the car and all the bags so it wasn’t there. He went back to the car to see if it had slipped between the front seats, while I checked my coat pockets and any other place I could think of.
We couldn’t find it all that night. I was a wreck. I had so many photos and files in the phone I was so worried I would lose them all. We only found it the next day, in the snow. Luckily, the phone was recovered, and nothing was lost (after it sat in rice for 24 hours to remove moisture).
After that, I vowed to find a way to never make this happen again. Enter, Tile.
Have you heard of Tile?
It’s an amazing little Bluetooth device that allows you to locate anything from the press of a button.
There are different ways to use Tile.
- If you have an item you want to keep track of, place a tile on that item and you can relocate it with an app on your phone. If the item is within a 200-foot Bluetooth range, a ringer will go off for your to hear where it is.
- The Tile for your keychain is my savior for the lost phone. Press the button and your phone will ring even if it’s on silent (genius!) Because we tried to call said missing phone and guess what? It was on silent. Tile solves that problem.
- The Tile app also works as a “lost and found community”. So for example, if you were to come close to a lost item with a Tile, the person who lost the item would be notified thanks to you. And if you are curious, over 3 million items are located every day…wow.
- You can also keep the Tile app running in the background and it will remember the last place your item was with you.
While I’m not a big fan of turning on my location on my phone unless I have to, I’m happy to have a device I can use to help me in a jam. The good thing is that you can put on your GPS tracker only if you need to find an item, it doesn’t have to be running the whole time. However, your GPS and Bluetooth have to be on your phone should you loose it to find it with your Tile.
Other things I like about the Tile Bluetooth tracker:
- It’s waterproof (thank you very much!)
- It is discreet and comes in various shapes and styles.
- Tiles are made of 99% recyclable materials.
- There is a re-Tile program that allows you to upgrade your Tile after a year of use (batteries are not reusable, and this program is a great solution for that).
- You can personalize your Tile with skins now.
You can find Tile products in electronic stores such as Best Buy, Staples and Canadian Tire. To learn more about Tile, visit their website.
Disclosure: I was gifted Tile products to facilitate this review. All opinions are honest and my own.